Oh how, I hadn’t posted anything in here for ages. This is what happens when I’m trying to maintain too many blogs!
I’ve moved the Lego Mum Diaries into it’s own blog, then there’s also the MissLilly’s Journeys not to mention the To Be Blamed blog. Too many potentially, I might need to revisit which ones I really keep shortly.
Anyway, since the concept of the smart watches came out, I’ve been looking for a decent one I could wear myself, but guess what there weren’t any. It’s all too sporty and too big for a ladies wrist. Recently there’s been some really good models a bit more fashionable.
Main reasons why I want a smart watch:
- Because it’s cool (I love technology)
- Not to miss any nursery calls because my phone was I don’t know where
Pretty much I wanted
- something simple that would fit on my wrist nicely,
- Android Wear 2.0 (which is the latest Android software) as I own an Android phone
- NFC so I could use it for payments (Android Pay) without the need to use my wallet or my phone
Sounds a simple request right? What if I tell you that currently there’s no smatch watch that offers the 3 things above? (Not for a lady)
Here’s the ones I’ve considered:
Moto 360 – 2nd Gen
I remember looking into them, and there was even an option called the moto maker where you could design your watch completely, but that’s now gone from UK. I couldn’t find the models I wanted anymore anywhere, not entirely sure what happened with Morotola in UK. This was the closest available on amazon (here) In fact if you go to Motorola’s web page in UK there’s no mention of the smart watches anymore. But they looked pretty nice.
Fossil Q Wander
Well, I’ve been a fan of fossil watches for a long time now and I own a few of them, so when they’ve announced they had an Android Smart Watch I was really in love with it. The design is pretty much the same of the Moto 360
Unlike the Moto 360 there’s no 42mm version, which would be perfect for a women’s wrist, but actually even at 45mm doesn’t feel big. It’s also really light as well.
- From the Android Wear phones this is the best design for ladies
- Priced at £229 it’s one of the cheapest Android Wear phones as well
- Interchangeable straps which are really easy to replace
- No NFC! Why oh why! I’ve contacted the customer service and it seems a new generation will be coming out Sep / October but they are not sure yet if they’ll have NFC either. This is quite a big downside (for me at least)
- The screen is not as good as some of the competition, but in a phone I’m not picky about screen quality as I would be on my mobile phone
Huawei W1 Watch
This looks pretty good as well
This one also priced at £239.
But again, no NFC! Only the 2nd generation has it, but then it’s a sports watch
Samsung Gear 3
This is, I would say, the best Android Watch. They don’t have Android Pay but that’s because Samsung has their own application. Ultimately you can use pay powered by NFC. Samsung is also the only smart watch (that I know off), that allows to hold a stand alone phone card, so if your phone dies out you can re-route your calls to your phone. This is pretty cool too. But then look at the design
I’ve tried my best to like it. I did. But it looked huge and heavy on my wrist. I was thinking of changing the strap to something like this:
But I just hate the metal crown.
The screen quality of the samsung is also the best available. But ultimately it was double the price of the Fossil one, priced at around £349. Would I pay almost double the price to get NFC but get an uglier watch?
I’ve ended up going for the Fossil Q Wander, but I’m still upset it doesn’t hold NFC. It is really a big shame. Good that the watches are evolving and there are a lot more options available now 🙂
Do you have a smart watch? Any feedback? Are you considering getting one?